Cheyenne County Map 1886
Cheyenne County Map 1887
Cheyenne County Map 1889
St. Francis, Kansas had its origin in the town of Wano, located on the east bank of the Republican River, one mile northeast of the site of the present town. Wano comes from the Spanish word "Bueno” meaning good.
The town was laid out and started in 1885 and by 1887 the dream that Wano would become a railroad division station was becoming a reality. However, those dreams were dashed when it was announced that the railroad was being switched to a new site. The residents of Wano were told that if they would move, the Lincoln Land Co. would transfer their homes and buildings for free. The people accepted the offer and the new town was born.
The actual move to St. Francis began in December 1887 and the last building was moved from Wano in May 1888. Wano was the home of 150 residents, nineteen businesses, a post office, a bank, and seven carpenters.
The new town was expected to be named "Emerson" after Captain A.L. Emerson who owned the land where St. Francis now stands. Instead, the town was named St. Francis after his deceased brother. The arrival of the first train in St. Francis on July 8, 1888 was a cause for great celebration. St. Francis has continued to grow and prosper into the town we know today.
Cheyenne County Plat Book - 1907
From the Cheyenne County Plat Book - 1907
Cheyenne County Map 1892
Cheyenne County Map 1897
Cheyenne County Map 1904
St. Francis, Kansas, Cheyenne County Kansas, St. Francis, Kansas, Cheyenne County Kansas, St. Francis, Kansas, Cheyenne County Kansas,