Howard and Vivian Sawhill envisioned a beautiful oasis for the city of St. Francis With the help of government funds and WPA workers, Mr. Sawhill planned and supervised every aspect of the new park in 1934. In 1966, six years after his death, the park was dedicated in his honor.
Formerly the site of the old jail.
The St. Francis water tower located on South College holds 110,000 gallons of water and was built in 1926 and is still in use. It was repainted in 2001. Public Offense Ordinance: 11-202. CLIMBING WATER TOWER. Any person who shall climb the water tower shall, on conviction, be deemed guilty of violating this section and shall be fined in a sum not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned in the city jail not to exceed 10 days or both such fine and imprisonment at the discretion of the court.